Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Pain or Itch. Which is worse?



I've been asked lately if my ankle is still in pain. I wonder how to answer that. Since I can't move it inside the cast it doesn't ache like it used to but it itches to the point of pain. Seriously, I don't know which is worse. At least I could take a pain pill and go to sleep but when it itches, I'm on the verge of insanity before I can go to sleep. I take a piece of a Benadryl  hoping to stop the itching or put me to sleep but I have to scratch deep inside my cast. Now, the Orthopaedic Surgeon said not to scratch as it can cause other problems, but seriously, I'd like to see how they deal with the mind boggling itch. So I have experimented with a variety of tools to get to the itch and scratch it. I have settled on the 18" inch rigid metal ruler with a cork back! It's narrow enough to skinny down between the cast and can scratch the itch all the way down to the ankle. But, I have to be careful to not cut my leg with the end of the ruler. So it's not ideal. But, I have tried a number of other tools to scratch. Henry, the cast tech, said he opened one guys cast and the head of a spatula was inside.  The guy said, "Well, it seemed like a good idea at the time." He was BUSTED! He didn't realize that the head comes off.
1. I've tried the comb.
2. The deckle edge ruler that in my mind seemed like a good idea, but it kept getting stuck in the stocking thats inside the cast.
3. The brush didn't reach far enough and it wasn't thin enough to get to my ankle.
4. The long meat fork......well, no explanation needed there.
5. The lettuce knife....hmmmm, I thought twice once I felt how sharp it was.
Sooo..... this is what I've come up with. Got any better ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment